Monday, May 7, 2012

Article on me, By Kate Merkin

Below is the article that CSU journalist student Kate Merkin wrote after profiling me for two months.

http://www.collegian.com/index.php/article/2012/04/katie_cashman

Isn't it funny; it was October 2011, I committed to my very first public speaking event and my first "Ask a Medium" event ever. The entire experience was being guided by divine order and my only job was to say "yes" and show up.

I met Kerrie Flanagan, the director of Northern Colorado Writers group only a few months before. I took a On Writing (by Steven King) class that Kerrie was leading. I asked Kerrie to edit my laboured book proposal that I was sending to Hays House due November 2011. At one of our edit meetings at Barnes and Nobles she asked if I have ever thought of doing something public. I gasped, I had been getting that information from my guides for months but didn't know HOW to do it. I told her my ideas of this "Ask A Medium" event. She thought is was great and we booked the first event that October.

The day of the event I cleaned my house from top to bottom to stave off the nervous, near sick energy I was creating for myself. Yes I knew I had been killed in lives past for speaking in public, my cell memory was reminding me as it got hot and began to tremble at the mere thought of my commitment. One thing I knew, I was comfortable with Kerrie and I trusted her. She did everything. All I had to do was show up and do the best I could.

6pm rolled by as I got in the Hummer for the journey of doing my work, alone, and in public. 12 people were to attend. I will educate them on what a Psychic is, what a Medium is and teach them about their own guidance systerm. I'll answer questions and maybe go over a few Myths of what I do. Then I would read each person for around 5 minutes in a semi circle. I wanted to get out of it and quit on myself as I had done 1,000 times before. What I realized on that drive to the studio was that under my fear was a feeling of utter joy, excitement and life. "Could I contain this much joy in my life without "getting out if it," I wondered. "Has the fear been more comfortable then the joy all of these year? Yes, it has been. I've had enough fear in my life and I'm going to face it and see where this joy and excitement can go,"  I said to myself.

As I walked in I felt a calming and I promised myself "all I have to do is show up. If I pass out, I pass out." I met a few people for the first time. They were kind. A journalist student walked up and asks if it's ok to write about the event for a project she has to do for school. In those seconds I remember thinking, "oh god, it's my first one and you want to right about it....." "Sure, that's fine," I said.

The event was wonderful and I didn't pass out or die like I thought I would. I left feeling High and for the most part thought I was able to do a pretty good job. Little did I know that that event had changed my life forever.

Kate called for a full interview. Though I had family in town, I trusted my guides and the guides said "go, meet her, trust her." So I did.

I found my time with her to be fun, and purposeful. She cared and wasn't afraid of me in the least. Over the next few months she sat with me privately, she watched from behind me as I read 9 women privately at an event called Woo Woo, Wine Women and Chocolate, she called family and friends and of couse attended my "Ask A Medium" event. So many questions. I loved it ~ she reminded me of me. Questions illistrate passion and interest and I could feel her passion and respect for me and my work.

When she sent me a preview of the article I took a deep breath as I sat in my comfy chair to read. Tears streamed down my face as I witnessed me and my work though someone elses eyes. The guides were right; she was respectful, sincere and "got" me and my work. I was touched and felt  honored.

I have a saying, "you are never alone ~ ever." And what this means is that you don't have to know how or why things will work out. I couldn't concieve of someone writing an aritlce on me, and I didn't know where to do a public event. But because I opened my heart and trusted, it all worked out for me though Kate and Kerrie and many other people.

What guidance are you blocking, afraid of and tell yourself that YOU alone have to figure it out? Your only job is acceptace (and finding out if you don't know) that you are who you are and to open your heart and say 'yes' to those opportunities that will come up. The worlds been waiting for you to be you since you were born.  And,

You are never alone ~ Ever......

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    All I can say is that it has been an honor working with you this far. You've created many opportunities for me as well, and you made interviews easy and painless for a journalist who was still green in the ways of the world. I look forward to a future relationship, and we need to set up a time to meet so I can give you a few hard copies of the magazine. I am officially done with college on Thursday. Yay! Let me know when you are available.

    Love,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete