Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I know, I know it's not 1950

There has been a huge theme in my work around marriage these days.  On a Spirit level I need to address that the old format of the 1950's marriage is no longer applicable today. 

Those of us on the planet today made an agreement to come in at the time - the age of Authenticity is how I experience it.  The external places that we came to pretend to feel safe no longer keeps us safe.  Broken families, broken marriages, broken religion for some people, job loss.  We are living in a time so full of intuition that if you don't follow your higher self and get the lessons, the result is far from suddle.  We are called to live in Authenticity once and for all. 

For me this is good news.  Coming from a broken home, created in me, a fear to even think of a family of my own.  After years of healing I felt that I could marry and do it right.  When I met Mr. Right I was just so grateful to have something of my own I took on the patterns of a 1950's wife; quit work, cleaned, cooked, laundry etc, and life appeared great.

However, as I quit being Katie in the name of being married, another symptom showed itself.  When I quit my job to have our daughter I bought a $25 home espresso maker and my husband chastised me for doing so.  I thought I was being amazing because till then I was spending $3.00 a day on my precious coffee.  Then when our daughter was born, my marriage became strained and I saw sides of my husband that I didn't know existed.  I convinced myself that it was normal stress of caring for a beautiful baby.

We then moved to New England after her birth.  Though I kept up my 1950 wifely duties I had suspicion that my husband was looking for connection outside.  I'm not going to go into the details, let's just say that in my marriage - when I stopped being grateful for just being married, and I began practicing living as Katie again - my marriage got better.  And it couldn't be more true today - I am obsessed with being myself and if I'm unsure of what I truly want I'll stop and say, "What do I want to do or experience now."  My husband and children support my life because they know that if I say it - I mean it. And when I mean it - I'm happy and that joy shines back on them.

The 1950's pattern of a healthy life just doesn't fit anymore.  Husbands want to stay home and raise the kids, woman do want to work and bring home a paycheck.  No one's interested in the Marter anymore.  No one appreciates her sacrifice and resentment.  No one really notices when you are being a Marter and not living the life that you want to life.  And no one wants to be blamed for it anymore.

Marriage is more precious then ever because for the first time in recorded history perhaps - we are marrying and staying married because we truly want to be together.  Isn't the truth far sweeter then the illusion of time?

1 comment:

  1. A complicated partnership, simplified by knowing thy self and appreciated the very same in our spouse.

    ReplyDelete