Monday, April 4, 2011

Sunday Till Now

This is why I wanted to create a blog.  Under the last 6 years of parenting I would normally put my writing off - yet another day which would turn into a week, maybe a month.  Today is just one of those thankfully rare days where nothing has gone on schedule, and as many of you know, schedule is everything to keep a mothers mind calm.  But since I've made this commitment to a blog, I've made a commitment to myself and you, so even though it's 9:30 the kids are still bop'in around (it's a long story) I'm going to sit still and connect to my journey.

Sunday food Preperation:  As I said before, I'm going to shop for fresh produce on Sat and Tue. and prepare on Sun and Wednesdays.  Yesterday was my first big day preperation.  I did take pictures for you, which I expect to upload tomorrow.  I did accomplish making RAW:

Pecan and Almond Milk
Walnut Pate
Almond with cholocate chip Ice Cream
Brownies
Marinara Sauce
Orange Cream Sauce
Tahini Dressing

It was a wonderful Sunday.  Having this intention of Thoughtful eating and concious preperation, I find it extending to other aspects of my life.  For the first time in a long time, we as a family just hung out Sunday morning.  No rushing here and there, just sitting, napping, talking and connecting as a little family.  Then when I felt inspired, I went into my kitchen to create.  It was around two hours.  I find that once I get used to doing something the time of course refines quite a bit. 

The diagnosis of the food:  I over sweetned the milk with a new recipe that sweetned with Maple syrup rather then dates and it seperates and has an different after taste, the Walnut Pate' actually turned out beautiful - full of flavor and moist, the ice cream though not 100% raw  turned out good.  I think I put too much in my ice cream maker because it didn't get totally creamed up so next time I won't put too much in the maker.  It also froze weird - hard like Ice.  The Brownies were increadible, moist and stayed together.  I finally remembered to Process the walnuts before I put the rest of the ingrediants in and I processed the dates next, then added the rest of the ingrediants - wonderful !  Even though I made 3x's the recipe for the Marinara sauce, it was gone before dinnertime.  I couldn't get my hands out of it as I was preparing it and my husband scarfed it down behind my back before I had a chance to notice.  I found the empty glass container this morning and I actually felt mad for a minute.  The anger quickly turned into laughter - this stuff is THAT GOOD - he would secretly have a Marinara party and endure hearing about my crinkled up nose when I discovered the evidance...Orange sauce was ok - I don't know if I love raw cashews yet - I could totally taste them even after the rest of the ingrediants were added and blended.  And finally - the Tahini dressing was amazing.  Another thing I had to find some carrot sticks and get into it before dinner - it was so smooth and creamy. 

One finaly note is that eating 100% raw yesterday set me up for a kind day.  I was more focused, inspired, patient and light feeling.  That feeling carried over to today which I started with a run on my treadmill at 6am, followed by my favorite Yoga class at 9am at the gym.  I was so patient with everyone and everything and my kids mimic me - so they were connected and calm and we had a ton of laughs and snuggles today.  Then, I did what I normally do so often;  the day did not follow schedule as my son actually fell asleep in my arms for a nap around 6pm (his bed time is 7'ish).  I mean I haven't got to hold a sleeping child for nearly 2 years so this was very dear.  After 2 hours of holding him I started to get hungry and my husband made a frozen California cheese pizza for the kids because it was getting late.  I asked my daughter to hand me a slice and there it was: afterwards I felt more irritable and sluggish.  I tried to go for a run after he woke up and I could feel that pizza sitting in my tummy even though it had been hours...More conviction that Raw Food is perfect for me. 

I will get some pictures of the food up tomorrow so you can see what these things ended up looking like.  Until then - Thank you everyone, new and old in my life for your support.  I value each and every one of you that has sent me a note of encouragement.  Love you, Kate

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie girl, I'm so glad that I can go back and read the posts that I have missed. You are doing such a great job and I'm very proud of you!! Would love to be able to be around you so your "rawness" would rub off on me LOL Love you, Tana

    ReplyDelete